My recipe for Hotter than Hades Chili February 09, 2016 14:07
Hotter than Hades Chili
Chile Sauce: can use your favorite dehydrated chiles
- 5 California chiles (I used Ancho), dehydrated
- 5 Guajillo chiles, dehydrated
- 5 Pasilla chiles, dehydrated
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons Oregano, dehydrated (I used Hot & Spicy Oregano)
- 1 cup oatmeal
- ¼ cup ground cumin
- ¼ cup paprika
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Hotter than Hades pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7 cloves diced garlic
- 2 cups water
- 2 12-ounce cans tomato paste
- 2 cans unsalted Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 11.5-ounce cans low sodium tomato juice
Tomatoes – 2 quarts canned tomatoes
- Chile Sauce: cover dehydrated chiles with water in medium saucepan and soak for 2 hours. Add garlic and simmer till tender, about 30 minutes. Add oregano and blend in blender till pureed.
- Chili spices: combine oatmeal, cumin, paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes and Hotter than Hades pepper powder in bowl. Set aside.
- Chili: Mix together chuck, pork, onion and garlic in large pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, till brown. Drain off grease.
- Add chili spices and water to ground beef mixture and cook 20 minutes more. Then add tomatoes, chile sauce, tomato paste, black beans and tomato juice. Simmer about 1 hour.