Smoked Prime Rib Roast recipe February 24, 2016 12:59
Smoked Prime Rib Roast
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 (5 pound) prime rib roast, bones removed
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sprinkle salt over entire roast and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate, 4 hours to 24 hours.
- Combine olive oil, black pepper, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, onion powder, paprika and cayenne pepper together in bowl. Set aside for flavors to blend at least 1 hour.
- Pour most of the oil mixture over the roast and massage into top and sides of meat. Flip roast and pour remaining mixture over roast and massage. Place roast on a plate and refrigerate from 1 to 12 hours.
- Preheat smoker to 225 to 230 degrees F. Add hickory or pecan wood chips to smoker.
- Insert oven-safe meat thermometer into thickest part of roast. Place roast into smoker and roast until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F, 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500 to 550 degrees F.
- Bake roast in preheated oven until crust is crunchy, produced a reverse sear, 15 to 20 minutes. Allow roast to rest 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
May substitute different pepper powders for the cayenne pepper - depending on your desired heat level.